Thursday, March 18, 2010
Databases
Thinking back to how I first learned about databases, it is rather humorous. Databases are something I used in college and I learned how to use on my own. Now, elementary school students are learning how to use databases and probably can do a better search than most of us.
I think they are very easy to use, even with little technology experience. To be honest, you can type almost anything into the search area and some results will come up. Or, you can type a specific search term in and receive relevant results and some results you would never expect. I think this is a great, positive feature of databases. Students are able to search for what they want to in a more protected environment. If students were to do this on the Internet, some results would most likely not be useful and may even be inappropriate.
Therefore, I believe they are very useful in the classroom and they have endless opportunities. Students are able to research information for a paper, a presentation, or what they would like to search for. This is a great way to expose young students to the Internet and becoming familiar with the computer while protecting what they can search for and the results they will find. For older students, it allows them to find reputable resources and limit their search to find more of what they are looking for.
My experience in Unit One was an easier experience than some people had. I have had experience with databases in the past, but some ideas were new. I discovered new ways to search and strategies that provide more relevant results. Thanks for the strategies and happy searching!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment